Search This Blog

Friday, August 03, 2007

Wartburg, Tennessee

Wartburg, Tennessee is where I spent a lot of my time growing up (my parents actually live in a place closer to Oak Ridge, Tennessee called Petros). It's where I went to high school.
Wartburg is a rural community in East Tennessee. It's surrounded by huge, rolling mountains. It's a great place for a kid to grow up. There's even a a state park there, Frozen Head State Park, http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/FrozenHead/.
I catch a lot of grief over the name. People always ask, "Wart-burg? Where's that?" Well, you already know where it is. And you need to know that the town was settled by people of German descent. Here's where the name came from (read the quote):
To some, those mountains are also a castle. As Paul Harvey says: "Now you know, the rest of the story."

No comments: