Search This Blog

Saturday, July 13, 2013

George Zimmerman Found to Be Not Guilty!

My wife and I just watched the verdict on CNN.  I must admit I didn't watch a lot of the trial (been too busy), but I did tell my wife that I thought the jury would acquit him.  Here's a link to CNN's story on the verdict: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1.

Keep in mind that the verdict doesn't mean he's "innocent" per se, it just means the jury found him to be "not guilty" because the State of Florida did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt (which is a constitutional check in place to protect all citizens accused of a crime: you, me, family members, friends, etc.). 

However, I predict Mr. Zimmerman's legal troubles are not over, either.  He will most certainly face a wrongful death lawsuit by the family of Trayvon Martin.  And in that case, which will be for a money judgment only, the burden of proof will be by a preponderance of the evidence, which is a lower burden than beyond a reasonable doubt in his criminal case. 

Keep a watch and see what happens; and see if my prediction about the wrongful death suit is correct.  However, if Mr. Zimmerman doesn't have a lot of assets---or if he doesn't get any money from a book deal or interviews---the wrongful death lawsuit may not be filed; only time will tell.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: